The Court wants to know you have received the paperwork. So you have to "Acknowledge" Service which is a simple process and gives you an additional 14 days to prepare a defence.
Here's how to do it:
- First, register a Government Gateway account at http://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk. This will give you a 12-digit user ID, and create your own password.
- Log in to the claim, using the claim number at the top of the first page of the form, and the claim password supplied at the bottom.
- Select the option 'Acknowledgement of Service' and fill in personal details
- Tick the box which says 'I intend to defend all of this claim'.
- Do NOT put anything in the 'Defence' text box.
- Submit the form, and the website will display a confirmation that it has been submitted.
- Take a screenshot if you can (Shift+prt sc buttons) but you should get an email acknowledgement. If in doubt call them to check it has been received. The phone number is on the form at the top right.
Warning: The Courts ALWAYS assume the paperwork has been sent on time and you have received it on time. You only have 14 days to acknowledge so do it early rather than worry about it. There is plenty of help about to prepare your defence which is the next stage.
Next Stage: The next stage is to prepare your defence to email to MoneyClaimOnline before the additional 14 days are up. You'll find templates for ideas (only) here but all defences should be relevant to the particulars shown on the N1 form. Do not make the mistake of not answering the particulars or using mitigation. Mitigation is of no use.